Hmmm Had to be a larder cake, one that is made of whatever is handy in the kitchen. For me that was apples and a bag of walnuts lurking with intent in the corner. So an Apple And Walnut cake was the order of the day.
Apple & Walnut Larder Cake
- 200 g/7oz light brown sugar not the dark really strong stuff
- 250 g/9oz plain flour/all purpose flour
- 125 g/4 1/2oz butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g/3 1/2oz walnuts
- 2 apples
- icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- You'll need a small baking pan, mine was about 6 x 10", grease this well.
- Beat your butter and sugar until it's fluffy and paler in colour, now add in the eggs one at a time and the vanilla extract beating all the time.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add this to the mix really combining everything well.
- Chop the walnuts (I put mine in a bag and bash it with the rolling pin while thinking thoughts of hackers - worked for me!) and grate the apple. I grate skin and all, just leave out the cores.
- Add these to your mixture and then spoon it into the prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately45 minutes or until it springs back in the centre when lightly pressed or a skewer comes out clean.
- Cook andsprinkle lightly with icing sugar.
- Slice and enjoy with a great big cuppa!