Fairy cakes or cupcakes, call them what you will, they are the perfect sweet treat for this Jubilee weekend. Keeping with the red, white and blue theme I have gone for blueberry cupcakes with a strawberry filling.
- 125 g/4 1/2 oz softened butter
- 140 g/ 5oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 140 g/5oz plain flour allpurpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- handfull of blueberries
- Mascarpone cheese
- Strawberry jam
- icing sugar
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 12 hole muffin tin and cupcake liners
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it is pale and fluffy and gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and add the vanilla extract and milk. Fold in the blueberries last.
- Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake for approximatey 25 minutes or until golden and cakes spring back when prodded with a finger tip. Cool on a wire rack completely.
- Slice off the tops.
- Mix together the mascarpone and enough icing sugar to sweeten (this is entirely up to you how sweet you want the filling). Place a teaspoonful of strawberry jam on to each cake base and then a teaspoonful of the sweetened mascarpone. Top this with four pieces of finely sliced strawberry and four blueberries. Pop the lids back on.
- Mix icing sugar with enough water to make a thick cream consistancy and spoon on to the tops of the cakes.
- Add a strawberry or crown to the top and you are ready for any street party, garden party or just a cup of tea in the garden.