Read on for my recipe for coffee chocolate cake
Coffee and cake, cake and coffee. Put the coffee in the cake, coffee cake and then coffee as well. What fun! Just think of the caffeine, whoohoo! Hmmmm maybe a bit of chocolate is required here just to add to all that goodness. Let’s add hazelnuts too in the form of Nutella and we will have a coffee chocolate cake, result!
I made this on Saturday when Sue came round. I am ashamed to report that we scoffed the lot.
It is just the things we both love. We always meet up for coffee so having it in cake form with a bit of chocolate added just seemed like the right thing to do. A girl’s coffee morning in the true sense of the word. Here’s the recipe, very basic, very simple, very, very yummy!
Coffee Mocha Cake
- 115 g/4oz butter unsalted
- 115 g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 115 g/4oz self raising flour
- 200 g icing sugar
- 150 g cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons nuttella or similar
- Beat together the sugar and butter until nice and fluffy and then gradually stir in the eggs. Pour the boiling water into a little cup with the coffee and let it dissolve completely. Add about 2/3rds of this to the cake batter (save the rest for your topping and filling). Sift in the flour and fold this all together.
- Spoon mixture into two small cake tins and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until risen and golden and just coming away from sides of tin. Gently prod centre of cake with fingertip. If cake is ready it should spring back and not leave an imprint.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Now for the filling and topping.
- Beat together the icing sugar, cream cheese and nuttella. Add more icing sugar as required. You want a consistency that is pasty enough for the centre of the cake, but not too firm for the top. Your call really.
- Now slather it on one cake and sandwich the other on top. Cover the top with the rest of the topping and stick a coffee bean on top just to remind yourself that its a coffee cake.
- Eat, eat and enjoy.........
PIN ME FOR LATER