Read on for my recipe for apple and walnut larder cake
Some days you just want cake. No you crave cake. You MUST have cake. Monday was such a day. With the traumas of the site hacking cake was of the utmost importance.
Hmmm Had to be a larder cake, one that is made of whatever is handy in the kitchen. For me that was apples and a bag of walnuts lurking with intent in the corner. So an Apple And Walnut cake was the order of the day.
I love being creative in the kitchen. Making do with whatever ingredients you have and just making something edible and hopefully nice at the end of it all. It really is what cooking and baking is all about, a bit of kitchen magic and creativity with whatever tools (ingredients) are at hand.
This was a real comfort food cake, it made up for the stresses of the day with a nice cup of tea.
Apple & Walnut Larder Cake
- 200 g/7oz light brown sugar not the dark really strong stuff
- 250 g/9oz plain flour/all purpose flour
- 125 g/4 1/2oz butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g/3 1/2oz walnuts
- 2 apples
- icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- You'll need a small baking pan, mine was about 6 x 10", grease this well.
- Beat your butter and sugar until it's fluffy and paler in colour, now add in the eggs one at a time and the vanilla extract beating all the time.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add this to the mix really combining everything well.
- Chop the walnuts (I put mine in a bag and bash it with the rolling pin while thinking thoughts of hackers - worked for me!) and grate the apple. I grate skin and all, just leave out the cores.
- Add these to your mixture and then spoon it into the prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately45 minutes or until it springs back in the centre when lightly pressed or a skewer comes out clean.
- Cook andsprinkle lightly with icing sugar.
- Slice and enjoy with a great big cuppa!
PIN ME FOR LATER