Okay so it’s not really instant, but boy this is a fast cake to throw together and a real crowd pleaser in this house. Also a great way to use up those spotty bendy bananas that are just lurking in the fruit bowl and about to start attracting fruit flies and putting off the humans.
I threw in a handful of crushed walnuts just to add a bit of crunch and because it was something else that was just itching to be used up.
I made this for Idgy’s sleep over the other night, but alas felt a huge compulsion to scoff rather a lot of it myself. Note to self; do more exercise!
Almost Instant Banana Bread
- 125 g/4oz butter
- 150 g/4 1/2oz caster super fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- 1 egg
- 2 over ripe bananas
- 190 g/7oz self raising flour cake flour
- 60 ml/1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 170C/350F/Gas3 Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- Melt the butter, sugar and vanilla over a low heat. Once it has all melted together remove from the heat and pour into a big mixing bowl along with the mashed up banana.
- Crack in a cup and beat before adding to the banana mixture.
- I like to add a little beaten egg, then some of the flour, then some milk, then egg again etc, until I have used all the ingredients up. Toss in the walnuts and stir in.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes or until risen and golden and a little skewar comes out clean.
- Let it cool on a wire rack and serve with a good cup of tea.