Shortbread is simple to make and a great standby in the biscuit tin. For those of you who think shortbread is shortbread, think again, there are lots of different varieties of this tasty goodie, here is just a nice easy vanilla flavoured bickie to get you started on the shortbread crusade!
Try this Vanilla Shortbread and sit back with a cup of tea and nibble away to your heart’s content.
- 350g/14oz plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 50g/2oz cornflour or rice flour
- 100g/4oz caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 225g/9oz butter (unsalted)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 Line a baking sheet
- Sift the flours into a nice big bowl so you have room to work and make a well in the centre.
- Put the sugar in the middle and the butter and vanilla extract (make sure it is soft enough to work with).
- Rub the butter into the sugar and then bring in the flours until you have a good dough.
- Divide this into two pieces and then roll them out on your baking tray into two rounds.
- Prick all over with a fork and pinch the edges just to finish them off prettily. Now score into quarters or eighths with a knife but don't cut all the way through.
- Bake for about 40 - 45 minutes or until nicely golden.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar and cool on a wire rack. Gently break on the score lines to make the traditional triangles.