Strawberry, sage and red wine jam is definitely one for the grown-ups. This is not your sickly sweet confection that the kids would splatter all over sandwiches and toast, oh no this mixes sweet with savoury and just a touch of boozy fun. The perfect preserve really!
While I love jam and strawberry jam in particular when we have loads of those goegeous berries in the garden in the summer, I do get tired of plain old strawberry jam which is why I have made a few different varieties of strawberry jam over the years on this blog; Italian Inspired Strawberry Jam , Strawberry Gin Jam, Strawberry And Tomato Jam, Strawberry And Elderflower Jam, and Strawberry And Chilli Vodka Jam
So this is another one for us grown-ups and this time I’ve gone for a bit of earthiness with the flavour of sage to counteract the sweetness of the strawberries and of course the red wine is just an added bonus I couldn’t resist.
While you can have this on your toast for a decadent breakfast treat it goes well on a cheeseboard and is good gently warmed with a little more wine added to loosen it up and spooned over the very finest vanilla ice-cream for the perfect dessert.
Remember to check out my jam making page for knowing your setting point and my notes on sterilising jars correctly.
- 425g/15 oz strawberries
- 425g/15 oz jam sugar
- 150ml5 fl oz red wine
- 2 sage leaves finely chopped
- juice and zest of half lemon
- Hull the strawberries and cut in half
- Heat the strawberries with sugar until it has completely dissolved
- Add the red wineand lemon juice and zest
- Bring to the boil until setting point has been reached
- Add the chopped sage leaves and stir well
- Ladle into sterilised jars and pop on the lids