Today I have a guest to introduce to you, this is my friend Rosemary McLaren and she is popping in to share her fabulous Runner Bean Chutney recipe with you;
I’ve had a run on runner beans this year and have been making lots of this chutney. I know it isn’t the prettiest of preserves but I can assure you that it makes up for it’s lack in looks by a fabulous flavour!
- 900g/2lb runner beans
- 4-5 onions
- 675g/1½ lb demerara sugar
- 1½ tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1½ tablespoons English mustard powder
- 1½ tablespoons cornflour
- 900ml/1½ pints malt vinegar
- Peel and chop the onions into small pieces. Slice the beans and boil them with the onions in salted water until both are tender. Strain and drain well and then cut into small pieces or put through a mincer.
- Add the sugar and 750ml/1¼ pints of the vinegar and boil for 15 minutes.
- Mix the turmeric, mustard and cornflour with the remaining vinegar and add this to the pan with everything else.
- Boil for a further 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and spoon into sterilised jars.