Pesto Ice-cream, have I lost you completely now? Do you think I have lost the plot entirely, a savoury ice-cream, is she totally mad? No, dear reader my pesto ice-crream may well be savoury in nature but it makes a jolly good dessert and it’s definitely something different at a dinner party!
Pesto is always a savoury sauce but not in my book, I like to make pestos in all different forms using everything from the usual herbs to vegetables and fruit too. Anyway this pesto ice-cream actually uses the standard basil as the herb of choice. Eeeeek it even contains garlic, in an ice-cream! Don’t panic you are only going to infuse the base with the garlic then throw it away.
Fear not it all comes together beautifully and I promise you pesto ice-cream really will tickle those taste buds.
You are going to need a few ingredients for this recipe; whole milk, Greek yogurt, cream and cream cheese for the liquid part and then runny honey, finely minced basil leaves, a clove of garlic, lemon zest, parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts to make up the rest of the recipe.
Sounds a lot I know but it is really a case of heating the liquid part and infusing it with the garlic then tossing that (garlic) away and mixing the cooled infusion with the other ingredients in a bowl. Chill well in the fridge for an hour and then use an ice-cream maker to bring together your pesto ice-cream and pop into the freezer.
Go on, give my pesto ice-cream a try this summer.
- 200ml/1 cup cream
- 200ml/1 cup whole milk
- 100ml/1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 100ml/1/2 cup cream cheese
- 6 tbsp runny honey
- 20 basil leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic whole
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Heat all the liquids (including the cream cheese) with the garlic, basil and honey almost to a boil, remove from heat and allow everything to infuse for 30 mins at room temperature
- Remove the garlic clove and throw away
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan for 1 min till golden and aromatic then remove from pan immediately and cool
- Add the parmesan and lemon zest and chill in fridge for 1 hour
- Churn the mixture in an ice-cream maker adding the toasted almonds for the last minute
- Place in plastic container in freezer adding an extra tbsp of crushed toasted nuts on top at the end