It is long past time that I got another recipe up here and this is one that I have had Idgy make me this week as it is so easy to do but tastes wonderful and looks way more exciting and special than a standard ‘egg on toast’ dish.
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 slice bread of choice (large sized slice not from a mini loaf)
- smear of butter
- 1 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7
- Have a baking tray ready
- Separate the egg and set aside the yolk for the time being
- In a clean dry bowl (any moisture/grease will inhibit the fluffing process) whisk the egg white until it stands in peeks on its own, takes about 5 minutes by hand
- Toast your slice of bread but don't make it too brown because it will be going into the oven
- Lightly butter one side of the toast
- Spoon on a layer of the fluffy egg white keeping within the edges of the slice
- Make a slight dent in the centre of the fluff and drop in your egg yolk
- Now cover over with the rest of the fluffy egg white making sure that the egg yolk is sealed into the middle of it and can't leak out anywhere
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on your grated cheddar cheese
- Pop on the baking tray and into the oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden on top, leave for 12 minutes if you want a harder yolk
- Remove from oven and serve right away.
A word on bread; if you have lovely homemade bread that is just perfect. I like that Bergen soya and seedy bread and it really adds a bit of extra texture and crunch to this dish. Make sure you use standard bread sizes, if you go for a mini loaf then the sizes are so small the eggy fluff will have to pile up really high and will take longer to bake and you run the risk of it all toppling over, so go on, treat yourself to a decent sized slice of toast!