Ah breakfast, the most important meal of the day. In the winter I like to start my day with good old Scottish porridge but in summer it has to be muesli and this coconut muesli is one of my favourites. Easy to make and tastes fabulous, oh and healthy too of course, mustn’t forget that one.
The only sweetness in this coconut muesli is found in the dried fruit, there is nothing sugary added so you can rest assured that you are ticking those all-important healthy eating boxes first thing in the morning. You can then feel free to ruin everything completely by having an entire packet of chocolate biscuits with your coffee at eleven o’clock!
This coconut muesli is super easy to make, the only cooking involved is in toasting the nuts which you must do in a dry pan and watch them like a hawk as they burn easily, just a minute should do it. You know the nuts are toasted when they turn golden and you get that gorgeous nutty aroma.
I tend to make my coconut muesli in a big batch that does me for about 8 servings which is the measurements I’m giving you here. As long as you store it in an airtight container it’ll stay fresh for up to 6 months.
I like to have my morning muesli with Greek yogurt and any fresh berries that I happen to have lurking in the fridge.
So start your day with a pretty and healthy bowl of coconut muesli, it looks like summer in a bowl.
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup of mixed nuts (walnuts, almonds brazils)
- ½ cup dried cranberries and raisins
- 1 tbsp gogi berries
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Toast the coconut flakes in a dry pan over medium heat for about 1 minute, watch them like a hawk as they can easily burn, you just want them toasted and golden
- Roughly crush nuts with pestle and mortar and toast in the same way as the coconut flakes, they should be aromatic and golden
- Allow nuts and coconut to cool completely
- Mix all ingredients together
- Store in airtight jar for up to 6 months (makes 8 servings)