Carrots, love’em to bits. We go through lots of carrots, I’m sure Idgy and I must have been rabbits in a past life, at least distant relatives of Bugs Bunny and we must surely have raided Mr McGregor’s veggie patch at some time in a past history. We both nibble them raw, I make French carrot salad every week, we have them steamed, roasted, boiled, in soup, pureed, chopped and sliced.
I love making them into jam. In fact this jam is actually hitting top marks just now on the breakfast charts, it is even beating my all time favourite of apricot.
I have been making carrot jam for years, but this summer I wanted to add a bit of interest so threw in some pistachio nuts and cooked the carrots in orange juice, the results – wow, Peter Rabbit would be proud of me.
Serve this carrot orange and pistachio jam on everything from toast and scones to pancakes and toasted sandwiches with chicken or cheese.
Eat your heart out bunnies this one’s for us!
- 800g/1¾lb carrots
- juice and zest of 2 large oranges
- 500g/1lb 2oz jam sugar
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 50g/2oz chopped pistachio nuts
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots.
- Grate the zest off the oranges and squeeze out the juice.
- Cook the carrots in the orange juice with the zest until they are completely tender.
- After cooking zap them to a pulp, you should get about 750g/1lb 11oz of pulp.
- Now add the jam sugar, grated zest of lemon and the lemon juice and those chopped up pistachios.
- Heat gently to dissolve the sugar and raise to a boil. Bubble away until you reach your setting point (that chilled saucer in the freezer for 5 minutes teaspoon of the jam on it and back to fridge for 5 mins to see if it sets enough) and then spoon this gorgeously bright golden zingy jam into sterilised jars and store in the fridge.